3 Steps to Install a Dimmer Switch
– Step 1: Remove the old switch
– Step 2: Install the dimmer
– Step 3: Test the dimmer
A dimmer switch is an electrical device inserted in the place of a traditional switch. It allows you to modulate the intensity of the light.
Before installing a dimmer switch, remember to check that the lighting you are working on is compatible with the dimmer switch, as some bulbs do not allow the use of dimmer switches.
– The ground wire is usually in the middle of the outlet.
– The letter N indicates the neutral (blue wire).
– The letter L indicates the phase (red, brown, or black wire).
Caution: An electrical outlet can conduct electricity even if the appliance connected to it is not working. Use a voltmeter or a voltage tester to ensure no current flows through the outlet.
1. Remove the old switch
– Turn on the switch of the affected light to turn on the lamp.
– Turn off the power by operating the main circuit breaker of the house:
◦ The light goes out: the power is well cut off.
◦ Light remains on: check that you have turned off the correct circuit breaker.
– Remove the existing switch surround with a flathead screwdriver.
– Loosen the mounting screws to remove the switch.
– Slowly pull the switch outward (in the case of a flush mount). If it is a surface-mounted switch, turn it so you can see the electrical wires.
– Loosen the wire clamp screws. 2.
2. Install the dimmer
– Connect the 2 wires previously screwed to the switch to the dimmer.
– Slowly push the drive into the mounting hole.
– Hold the dimmer firmly against the wall and screw in the 2 mounting screws.
– Clip on the trim.
3. Test the dimmer
Turn the power back in the installation by acting on the circuit breaker.
Two dimmers are available: the simple dimmer and the programmable dimmer.
For the simple dimmer: slowly turn the dimmer button, and the light intensity should vary.
For the programmable dimmer:
– Press the “+” button and the intensity increases.
– Press the “-” button, and the intensity decreases.
– The desired intensity can be set in this way: it is possible to vary the intensity of the light at any time by pressing the “+” or “-” button.
Switching off is done by pressing the bottom of the large part while switching on is done by pressing the top of the large part.
Equipment to install a dimmer switch