Why Install a Water Heater Pressure Reducer
– 2 types of water heater pressure reducer
– Achieve water savings with a water heater pressure reducer
– Electric water heaters and pressure reducing valves
– Price of the water heater pressure reducer
The pressure reducer of a water heater allows to reduce the water pressure:
– when the water pressure from the general network is too high,
– or when a water heater requires constant pressure to ensure its operation.
Before installing the water heater pressure reducing valve, it is necessary to make the first connections:
– electrical: electrical diagram of the water heater,
– pipes: water heater plumbing, buffer tank.
2 types of water heater pressure reducing valve
Choose a product bearing the IEC/NEC mark for low voltage electrical installations that comply with health standards.
You can choose between two types of pressure reducing valves:
– those that have a constant pressure and ensure a regular and fixed pressure,
You can select the pressure for those that are adjustable: they are equipped with a pressure gauge.
It is placed:
– either at the beginning of the network to protect your entire installation,
On the cold water inlet at the beginning of the line of a water heater that requires a given constant pressure.
Its simple principle is based on the opposition of two forces:
– on one side, there is a shutter that closes the pressure reducer, and that is activated by a spring, and on the other side, there is the water that arrives;
– When the water comes into contact with the obturator, it closes to reduce the pressure to the required or predefined level.
Good to know: the pressure reducing valve has a direction of installation indicated by an arrow. When installed upside down, water will no longer flow through your pipes.
Achieve water savings with a water heater pressure reducer
This device has two advantages:
– it reduces the pressure of the water in your network when it is too high to ensure the proper functioning of the water heater: at its outlet, the water is at constant pressure;
– allows you to save on your water bill.
Electric water heaters and pressure reducing valves
To avoid excessive flow and premature wear of the water heater tank, you must install a pressure reducer.
Installing a pressure reducer upstream of your electric water heater ensures that it works properly:
– when heating, the water expands: the pressure in the tank increases;
– At night, as the water demand is lower, the pressure of the general network increases while your water heater is switched on during off-peak hours.
For safety reasons, your water heater’s pressure is limited, and it is recommended to reduce the network pressure to a value lower than that of the tank.
This is why you have a safety group that allows the water to flow when the pressure is too high.
Price of the water heater pressure reducing valve
To buy a water heater pressure-reducing valve, you should expect to pay between $40 and $120. Now, you should also know that not everyone can reduce the pressure of a water heater. So you’ll have to see a professional to avoid burning everything because these things are susceptible, and any DIY trick can run you the risk of breaking everything! On that note, I recommend Elmridge Air Comfort if you live in Oshawa, Bowmanville, Newcastle, Courtice, Whitby, and across Durham Region.
If you liked this article, don’t forget to share your experience with us, whether you tried changing the water heater pressure reducing valve yourself or by calling a professional. Your opinion is very important for the maintenance of this blog. Thank you!